Controversial BBC sitcom confirms return to TV after racist slur apology – and it’s just weeks away

Published on July 16, 2025 at 10:19 PM

A CONTROVERSIAL BBC sitcom has been confirmed to return to TV despite the show’s star being forced to apologise over a racial slur.

The Beeb have officially for a fifth series and it’s only weeks away.

Agnes Brown reading a newspaper at her kitchen table.
A controversial BBC sitcom has been confirmed to return to TV despite the show’s star being forced to apologise over a racial slur
The cast of Mrs. Brown's Boys at a Christmas dinner.
The Beeb have officially revealed the show will be back for a fifth series on August 1st

will return for its fifth series on Friday 1st August at 9:30pm on .

The BBC tease: “Agnes Brown and the gang from Finglas are back!

“Everyone’s favourite Irish Mammy returns for a brand new fifth series featuring all your favourite characters, so get ready for more slapstick shenanigans this spring!”;

The BBC’s head of , Jon Petrie added: “Brendan has created an iconic comedy character in Agnes Brown.

“Mrs. Brown’s Boys is a and one of the BBC’s most-watched comedies ever. I’m proud to have it in the BBC Comedy stable.”;

The BBC have also reportedly commissioned a full series of a new comedy starring star alongside Tommy Cannon.

Filming on the series is due to commence in July and will air on .

Titled Shedites, star Brendan Carroll plays the lead role ‘Jimmy’, with

Produced by BBC Studios, Brendan’sMrs Brown’s Boysco-writer Paddy Houlihan scripted Shedites.

Speaking toThe Irish Sunin December 2023, Brendan shared: “I’ve been advocating for theBBCto make this show for a long time because as well as being really funny, it ­highlights men’s mental health.

“It’s not something men talk about, but it’s got easier because of the men’s shed movement which has sprung up in UK and Ireland.

“There’s a kitchen, a card table and all that but even more important, men can go there and talk through their problems.”;

Itcomes following calls from Jon Petrie, The Director ofComedyat theBBC,

He previously said: “If our comedy eco-system is shrinking, then it’s on all us to fight for the right of UK mainstream comedy to exist.

“The sitcom isn’t dead but it needs a couple of Berocca. And a black americano with two sugars.”;

comes afterwas forced to issueafter he cracked a “joke”; using the N-word in front of a junior member of production who was so upset they later quit.

Last year,theBBCtemporarily halted filming of the show’s specialafter Brendanwhich he later admitted it had backfired.

ATVinsider said: “Virtually everyone in the room on the day that the outburst happened were shocked, but the reading continued for some time without anyone saying or doing anything as they were so stunned.

“There was no excuses for what he said or any kind of context or mitigation he could provide for making the slur, he just seemed to think it was amusing.”;

Brendan said of the incident:“At a read-through of theChristmas specials, there was a clumsy attempt at a joke, where a racial term was implied.

“It backfired and caused offence, which I deeply regret and for which I have apologised.”;

Mrs. Brown waving.
Last year,theBBCtemporarily halted filming of the show’s Christmas specialafter Brendanmade an attempted gagwhich he later admitted had backfired

Prev Article

Nottingham attack victims Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber to receive posthumous degrees

Next Article

Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose bromance stronger than ever at The Open as they relive nerve-shredding Masters play-off

Related to this topic:

Comments (0):

Be the first to write a comment.

Post Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!