THE World Cup group stage promises to be an exciting affair this winter in Qatar.
England will face Iran, the USMNT and Wales as they look to progress to the knock-out stages of the tournament.
No game will be easy as the Three Lions anticipate a tight group, with Gareth Southgate‘s side taking to the biggest stage in November.
But what will happen if teams finish on the same number of points in their group? We’ve got all the answers for you.
England may need to go out to score as many goals as possible during the group stages.
How are teams that finish level on points sorted in the 2022 World Cup?
Teams that finish level on points in the World Cup group stage are sorted by the following criteria.
- Points obtained in all group matches
- Goal difference in all group matches
- Number of goals scored in all group matches
- Points obtained in the matches played between the teams level on point
- Goal difference in the matches played between the teams level on points
- Number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams level on points
- Fair play points in all group matches
The fair play point deductions are as follows (only one deduction can be applied to a player in a single match):
- Yellow card: -1 point
- Indirect (second yellow) red card: -3 points
- Direct red card: -4 points
- Yellow card and later a direct red card: -5 points
These rules were present during the 2018 World Cup in Russia and came into play in Group H.
Japan and Senegal finished level on points, with the above criteria followed as the two sides were also level on points, goal difference, goals scored and goals conceded.
In this case, it went to the fair play points and Japan progressed with a deduction of -4 in comparison to Senegal’s -6 points.
/ 8 hours ago
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers: 1. The Central Bank of Nigeria...
/ 2 days ago
Negotiations with Qatari and Egyptian mediators over the release of hostages held by Hamas...
/ 2 days ago
he Israeli military resumed fighting against Hamas in Gaza after the militant group broke...