Connect with us


Watch footballers trade punches in shocking mass brawl after seven red cards in violent clash in bitter derby in Wales

A HUGE brawl broke out with players exchanging punches at the end of Rhyl 1879 vs Bangor 1876.

The historic derby returned to North Wales in the Ardal North West division for the first time since both clubs were re-formed following the collapse of Bangor City and Rhyl FC.

Rhyl’s number eight Alex Jones and Bangor’s Tom Clarke received red cards for an off-the-ball clash
Jones punched Clarke as he headed off the pitch
Rhyl captain Reece Fairhurst received a red card after shoving Clarke away
An initial brawl involved Jones and Jack Higgins throwing Clarke to the ground
Rhyl’s Aaron White was sent off for his role in a separate incident
Staff and substitutes from both sides were involved in trying to diffuse the situation

But it was not until the 73rd minute that tempers flared as Rhyl manager Gareth Thomas sent to the stands for dissent with the score 1-1.

Bangor then took the lead through Corrig McGonigle before Rhyl defender Miles Todd was sent for an early bath in the 84-minute later for an off-the-ball incident.

The first coming together was then sparked with seconds left in added time when Bangor defender Shaun Lock tried to delay play as Rhyl prepared to take a corner.

Three Rhyl players including goalscorer Alex Jones aggressively snatched the ball away from Lock, prompting Bangor players to step in to defend their team-mate.

The clash resulted in Jones and his team-mate Jack Higgins dragging Bangor’s Tom Clarke down to the ground, with Jones appearing to punch the defender while plastic bottles were thrown in their direction.

The referee managed to diffuse the situation before dishing out red cards to Jones and Clarke.

But Clarke continued to taunt Jones by laughing at him before Rhyl captain Reece Fairhurst pushed him away.

Jones was not finished however and ran up to Clarke before punching him in the face – cue bedlam.


Rhyl players had to drag Jones away with staff and substitutes from both sides pouring onto the pitch in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

But that only made matters worse as more punches were traded with Bangor trio Lock, Liam Morris and Corey Jones all involved, with the latter receiving a red card.

Rhyl pair Higgins and Aaron White were also red carded with the referee blowing his full-time whistle with the corner never taken.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply


Must See


More in Football