SOUTHAMPTON have admitted to spying on THREE Championship rivals, but astonishingly failed to win any of the matches in question.
Saints were dramatically after an independent commission ruled against them in the EFL’s explosive “Spygate” scandal.
Southampton players celebrate their win over Middlesbrough last week, but the Saints won’t be marching on to Wembley Credit: Getty
Saints boss Tonda Eckert has been left livid after his side were expelled from the play-off final Credit: Shutterstock Editorial
News has now emerged the club admitted breaches relating to fixtures against Oxford and Ipswich, as well as the play-off semi-final first leg away to .
Despite the controversy, Southampton did not actually win any of those games as they lost 2-1 away at Oxford on Boxing Day and drew 2-2 at home to Ipswich in the penultimate game of the regular season.
In the most high-profile case, Saints were held to a 0-0 draw at the Riverside earlier this month.
The confirmed Southampton admitted to “multiple breaches” of rules prohibiting clubs from observing an opponent’s training session within 72 hours of a fixture.
A statement read: “The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.”
Boro first raised the alarm after alleging a Southampton staff member had been spotted outside their training ground ahead of the play-off clash.
The individual as Saints intern William Salt after photos allegedly showed him near Middlesbrough’s training base.
Middlesbrough boss Kim Hellberg accused Southampton of “cheating” after the first leg, while tensions boiled over again following Saints’ extra-time win in the return match at St Mary’s.
There was a lot of tension in the second leg clash, and they spilled over off the pitch as well Credit: Getty
But despite reaching Wembley after a 2-1 second leg win after extra-time, Southampton were sensationally expelled from the play-offs, with Middlesbrough reinstated and set to face Hull in Saturday’s final instead.
Saints have already launched an appeal and are said to be “shocked and flabbergasted” by the punishment, believing it to be wildly disproportionate.
The club were also handed a four-point deduction for next season as part of the ruling.
Middlesbrough, meanwhile, welcomed the decision and said it sent “a clear message” about sporting integrity in English .



