ELITE divers have resumed a gruelling operation to recover five Italian tourists – amid a desperate scramble to stop sharks eating their bodies.

The perilous mission to recover the missing divers – which has been hampered by severe weather – has already left one rescue worker dead.

NINTCHDBPICT000724538964Picture taken by Sami Paakkarinen, an elite diver who has been deployed to the Maldives Search for bodies of Italian divers continues in the MaldivesSearch boats pictured during the gruelling recovery mission Credit: EPA Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in MaldivesMuriel Oddenino, one of the five Italian divers, is yet to be found Credit: UGC/UNPIXS Illustration of the "Cave Disaster" scuba diving incident, showing a map of the Maldives, the Duke of York Yacht, the dive depth, and theories on how the divers died.

On Monday, three Finnish cave divers joined the high-risk recovery operation, which has so far only located one body.

Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund, and Patrik Grönqvist have now arrived in the paradise archipelago to help local authorities.

The elite trio can dive to depths of nearly 500ft, giving them much more flexibility to search the difficult cave complex.

The unit, which was assembled in 48 hours and dispatched by DAN Europe – a diving safety organisation – will be searching the Alimatha cave complex near the Vaavu Atoll.

NINTCHDBPICT000234633803Finnish diver Sami Paakkarinen has flown to the Maldives Credit: Monami Agency Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in MaldivesMonica Montefalcone died in the tragedy Credit: UGC/UNPIXS

Paakkarinen, who has been cave diving since 2004, and Grönqvist, gained international renown for their role in recovering surviving divers in the 2014 Plura incident in Norway.

The divers have worked on some of the world’s most difficult missions.

Laura Marroni, CEO of the European diving network, told La Stampa: “We’ll bring them back. We can’t leave them at the mercy of the . We need experts here.”

The one body that has been recovered was found in Thinwana Kandu cave, also known as the “Shark Cave”.

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in MaldivesGiorgia Sommacal and her mum Monica died in the tragedy Credit: UGC/UNPIXS Maldives military rescue diver dies in search for missing ItaliansRescue workers pictured during the search operation Credit: EPA

Fears are mounting that the remaining four holidaymakers may be scavenged before recovery workers reach them.

There were 20 other tourists on the Duke of York yacht when the tragedy unfolded.

The group have now returned home after landing at Malpensa Airport in Italy.

They departed from the capital, Malé, and stopped in Dubai before arriving in Italy.

Maldives Italy Dive AccidentMaldivian National Defense Force members carry the remains of military diver Mohamed Mahudhee who died during search and rescue operation Credit: AP NINTCHDBPICT001080895188The five divers went missing in the Maldives Credit: Shutterstock

So far, only one body of the five Italian divers has been recovered on Friday, Maldivian authorities confirmed.

They said: “The body was recovered from about 60 metres deep from inside a cave structure.”

Authorities added: “It is assumed that the rest of the divers would also be inside this cave which is about 200 feet in length.”

on Thursday morning – with only one body recovered so far.

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in MaldivesGianluca Benedetti was one of the five divers Credit: UGC/UNPIXS Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in MaldivesFederico Gualtieri’s body has been found Credit: UGC/UNPIXS

The divers were led by the highly-experienced diver and renowned marine biologist Monica Montefalcone and boat captain Gianluca Benedetti.

They were joined by Monica’s daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri.

The on Saturday highlighted the mission’s extreme danger – with the total death toll rising to six.

Sergeant-major Mohamed Mahudhee, died on Saturday from decompression illness, prompting the MNDF to temporarily suspend the recovery effort which has been taking place in rough weather and sea conditions.

It has since been revealed that the Duke of York yacht, from which they launched the expedition, did not have a permit allowing dives of more than 100ft.

A former military diver in the high-risk cave – questioning why the group were allowed on the mission in the first place.

Shafraz Naeem, a veteran of the National Defence Force, said: “The authorities have confirmed that the operator exceeded the Maldives’ recreational depth limit of 30 metres and conducted the dives without the necessary permits.

“Everyone knows the rules were broken; they didn’t even have a permit to conduct research at those depths.”

The ex-diver is very familiar with the caves and described the complex series of tunnels.

The entrance to the cave is between 180 to 190ft, nearly double what the permit allowed, and extends down to 330ft.

It forks into different tunnels, and soon becomes pitch-black.

Naeem said: “Even the most experienced divers can face considerable challenges in such environments.”

He believes that the Italian team died due to a combination of factors and stressed that just one “unexpected event can quickly turn into tragedy” at those depths.