MASON Greenwood has been granted bail ahead of his trial for attempted rape and assault.
On Monday the Manchester United striker, 21, was told he would spend over a month behind bars after initially being denied bail.
But his lawyers overturned the order following a brief private hearing at Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court today.
The footballer, who didn’t attend the hearing, will be released from prison later today after the decision by judge John Potter.
His bail conditions state that he’s not to contact witnesses and must reside at his home address in Bowden, Greater Manchester.
The footballer will make his next appearance at the same Crown Court on November 21.
The striker had been held in custody since he was charged on Saturday.
The alleged offences relate to one woman and are said to have taken place between November 1, 2018, and October 15, 2022.
Greenwood is accused of “repeatedly engaging” in controlling and coercive behaviour for almost four years.
These include making threats and derogatory comments on social media.
He is also charged with attempting to rape her on October 21, 2021.
Attempted rape carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment if convicted.
The striker also allegedly assaulted her between December 12, 2021, and December 31, 2021.
Police swooped on the footballer’s £15,000-a-month rented home in Trafford on Saturday.
Greenwood was held on suspicion of being in contact with his alleged victim in a breach of his bail conditions.
The Crown Prosecution then authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge the footballer.
The striker has been waiting to discover his fate since he was first held in January this year.
Manchester United released a statement after Greenwood’s charge was announced.
A spokesperson said: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service.
“He remains suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the judicial process.”
Turkish Super Lig champions Galatasaray are lining up a January move for Club Brugge...
Former Tottenham Hotspur star, Darren Bent has claimed that Manchester United are too big...
Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke has told manager Erik ten Hag not to allow...