DONALD Trump failed to show the BBC defamed him, the broadcaster has claimed.
Court documents show how the Beeb intends to argue the US president failed to provide successful claims for defamation in a bid to throw out his £7.5billion lawsuit.
The BBC will argue Donald Trump failed to provide evidence the broadcaster defamed him, docs showCredit: Reuters
The US president is seeking at least $5 billion in damages for each countCredit: AP
Trump is going after the eye-watering sum in damages amid a libel lawsuit after the .
The spliced Panorama clips made the president appear to direct his supporters to storm the U.S. Capitol on January 6 2021.
The Whitehouse leader previously stated that he , despite the broadcaster already apologising for its mistake.
His lawsuit alleges that the defamed him and violated a in Florida banning deceptive and unfair trade practices.
The US leader is seeking at least $5 billion in damages for each count
But in a filing in Miami federal court, the BBC said it intends to argue that Trump’s multi-billion lawsuit should be dismissed because he failed to state successful claims for defamation and for a violation of a Florida unfair trade practices law.
The broadcaster also said it also intends to argue the court lacks jurisdiction to hear Trump’s case under Florida law, federal rules governing civil cases, and the U.S. Constitution’s “due process” clause.
The BBC has until March 17 to respond formally to Trump’s complaint, which he filed on December 15.
This comes after Beeb officials previously claimed the president could not prove damages because he was re-elected after it aired.
But a judge in Florida denied the British broadcaster’s application, court documents showed.
District Judge Roy Altman has now set a trial date in Trump’s multi-billion-dollar defamation lawsuit against the broadcaster.
The order, made on February 11, said: “This matter is set for trial during the Court’s two-week trial calendar beginning February 15, 2027.”
A BBC spokesperson said: “As we have made clear previously, we will be defending this case.
“We are not going to make further comment on ongoing legal proceedings.”
In the Newsnight edit, Trump is presented saying: “We’re going to walk down to the Capitol.
“And we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women. And we fight. We fight like hell.
“And if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not gonna have a country anymore.”
A voiceover from presenter followed saying “and fight they did” over a clip of the .
Both sections of the clip were 54 minutes apart.
Following criticism, Beeb officials confirmed the programme would “not be broadcast again in this form or on any BBC platforms”.
The broadcaster later issued a grovelling apology to the US President.
It said: “This programme was reviewed after criticism of how President ‘s 6th January 2021 speech was edited.
“During that sequence, we .
“We accept that our edit unintentionally created the impression that we were showing a single continuous section of the speech, rather than excerpts from different points in the speech…
“… that this gave the mistaken impression that President Trump had made a direct call for violent action.
“The BBC would like to apologise to President Trump for that error of judgement.”
Then-BBC Director Tim Davie resigned from the Corporation over its “deceptive editing” of the president’s speech.
Davie quit dramatically alongside the CEO of BBC News Deborah Turness following massive criticism against the broadcaster for .
The White House later described it as “outright lies”.
Mr Trump slammed the former BBC boss, saying it is a “terrible thing for democracy.”
He wrote: “The TOP people in the BBC, including TIM DAVIE, the BOSS, are all quitting/FIRED, because they were caught “doctoring” my very good (PERFECT!) speech of January 6th.
“These are very dishonest people who tried to step on the scales of a Presidential Election.
“On top of everything else, they are from a Foreign Country, one that many consider our Number One Ally. What a terrible thing for Democracy!”
Mr Davie, 58, dramatically quit following a scandal-plagued five-and-a-half years at the helm, finally admitting: “There have been some mistakes.”
He said: “Like all public organisations, the BBC is not perfect, and we must always be open, transparent and accountable.
“While not being the only reason, the current debate around BBC News has understandably contributed to my decision.
“Overall the BBC is delivering well but there have been some mistakes made and as director-general I have to take ultimate responsibility.”
The BBC has been contacted for comment.
Then-BBC Director Tim Davie resigned from the Corporation over its ‘deceptive editing’ of the president’s speechCredit: Getty
Trump’s lawsuit alleges that the BBC defamed him and violated a law in Florida banning deceptive and unfair trade practicesCredit: Getty


