Salmonella cases at Spanish hotel in centre of outbreak DOUBLE with nearly 200 people now sick from dodgy meals

Published on August 29, 2025 at 12:19 PM
Estimated Read Time:

More than 100 tourists including baby struck down with vomiting bug at Costa hotel after guests ate lunch at resort

A DISASTROUS salmonella outbreak at a hotel struck down almost 200 people – double the figure initially thought.

Some 190 cases of the vomiting bug have been confirmed in the Murcia region, south-west Spain, with dozens of people needing hospital treatment.

Buffet with various dishes and ingredients.
Hotel Izán Cavanna Plaza’s dining hall and buffet
Hotel Cavanna in La Manga, Spain.
Almost 200 people fell sick after being infected at Hotel Izán Cavanna Plaza
Ambulances outside a hotel.
Emergency services rushed to the scene and a field hospital was set up

Contaminated food is believed to have been served at a Costa hotel – the four-star Izan Cavanna on the La Manga peninsula, south-west Spain.

Guests began feeling nauseous and vomiting on Saturday afternoon, and some even came down with a fever.

An emergency field hospital had to be erected to deal with the huge number of sick people.

Health chiefs in Murcia say the figure has risen from 100 to 190 confirmed cases, and that up to 19 people are still in hospital.

The update came in a report from the local Epidemiology (disease) Service.

It revealed there were still 19 people receiving treatment at the Santa Lucía hospital – although some were expected to be discharged yesterday.

The Regional Ministry of Health is continuing to investigate the origin of the outbreak.

Initial findings point to cross-contamination of food as the cause of the nightmare outbreak.

Bacteria has been found in food served in last Saturday’s meal as well as in samples from staff who handled products that day, according to sources who spoke to Spanish newspaper Sur .

Public Health officials are reportedly weighing up sanctions for the hotel.

Holiday chaos after fire erupts at Majorca hotel leaving tourists trapped in lift as 20 treated for smoke inhalation

Ingredients, work surfaces and utensils continue to be analysed as part of the investigation, along with samples provided by staff.

The hotel said on Wednesday that so far it had “not received any notification regarding the opening of a disciplinary procedure, nor has the origin or cause of the outbreak been officially confirmed”, according to ‘La Verdad’.

Hotel Izán Cavanna also said: “The hotel is fully aware of the situation and is actively collaborating with the competent authorities to clarify it”.

The Ministry of Health stated that “the Epidemiology Service technicians continue to investigate the specific origin of the salmonella outbreak.”

Kitchens supplying the hotel’s restaurant continued with service on Saturday, the day of contamination, but have since been temporarily shut down.

The Health Department issued a precautionary suspension on Saturday afternoon, when dozens of people began to fall sick.

The Ministry insists the decision was made “as soon as we suspected the source was foodborne, something that was confirmed that same afternoon with the initial tests”.

Outdoor restaurant at night on a beach.
Guests have called the buffet ‘bland’ and said they will never return
Hotel pool and beach view.
The hotel is located on the idyllic beach in La Manga

The possibility of “other causes such as airborne transmission of the virus or the hotel pool” was ruled out, it said.

The hotel gave a more detailed response on its Facebook page, writing: “The management of the Hotel Izan Cavanna wishes to inform all its guests that it is actively managing a health incident that has affected a limited number of guests with symptoms of gastroenteritis.

“The health, safety, and well-being of our guests and staff are our top priority.

“We have taken immediate action, adopting the following measures:

“1. Working closely with the Health Authorities to investigate the source of the outbreak, following all their recommendations and guidelines.

“2. Assisting affected guests with their speedy recovery, remaining in close contact with them.

“3. Hygiene and Disinfection Protocols have been activated throughout our facilities, exceeding our already rigorous cleaning standards.

“4. Continuity of Service: To maintain service to our guests, we have immediately engaged a reputable external catering company.

“This company will be responsible for providing all meals at the hotel, operating under the strictest food safety certifications and ensuring the continuity and quality of our culinary offerings.

“We deeply regret the situation and the concern this incident may have caused our guests.

“The trust our guests place in us is the foundation of our commitment, and we are doing everything in our power to resolve this situation and ensure a safe and healthy environment for everyone.”

Salmonella poisoning effects typically include sudden diarrhoea, fever and abdominal cramps which appear between six hours and six days after infection and can last four to seven days.

In some cases, more severe symptoms like bloody diarrhoea or high fever occur, requiring medical attention.

Serious complications, though rare, can involve the infection spreading from the intestines to the bloodstream, causing severe illness or leading to long-term issues like reactive arthritis.

Prev Article 2027: I’m not plotting for VP slot – Bauchi Gov Bala Mohammed
Next Article I lost 4 stone on Mounjaro but it’s ruined my life for good – I’m always in & out of hospital & the pain is unbearable

Related to this topic:

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Search

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!