Michael Carrick Shares Manchester United Transfer Insights While Skirting Marcus Rashford Query
MICHAEL CARRICK has reiterated Manchester United are looking to strengthen their squad before the transfer window closes. United are continuing discussions with...
MICHAEL CARRICK has reiterated Manchester United are looking to strengthen their squad before the transfer window closes.
United are continuing discussions with Brighton over midfielder .
Baleba is set to become Carrick’s next signing Credit: Shutterstock Editorial
Carrick starts his first full season as United coach this week Credit: EPA
A deal for Baleba, 22, is probable and United are also in the market for a left back amid interest in Lewis Hall at Newcastle and Arsenal youngster Myles Lewis-Skelly.
Carrick said at United’s training camp the club were looking to enhance “one or two areas” and two incomings at the most remain possible.
- Dream Team is back, free, and there’s £100,000 up for grabs!
Carrick said: “I just think we’re looking to strengthen the squad.
“We’re certainly working towards that and making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward.
“So certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than when we went into it and I think we’re in a good, good way to doing that so far.”
The transfer window closes on September 1 and United have so far brought in midfielders Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans for a combined £85m, as well as back-up goalkeeper Karl Darlow.
There have been a lack of outgoings at United this summer and there has been no movement on a potential departure for Marcus Rashford.
Rashford, 28, made his first United appearance since December 12 2024 in the second half of theirlast week.
The England international is likely to be in the squad for United’s Premier League opener at Hull on Saturday, with the club yet to confirm his new squad number.
Rashford scored a stoppage-time winner on United’s last Premier League fixture at Hull in August 2016.
Carrick has spoken glowingly about Rashford since his return to the fold at the club’s training camp in County Kildare in Ireland last week.
However, he declined to give a straight answer when asked if Rashford had told him he wanted to stay.
Carrick said: “It’s been pretty obvious since Marcus came back in training with Kobbie (Mainoo) and Licha (Martinez) in Dublin that he’s come back fantastically well.
“You know, he’s enjoying his football. he looks fit, he looks sharp, he looks strong, he looks ready to play football.
“So I’ve been delighted with him since he came back.”
Carrick acknowledged that Rashford would be an option as a striker, with United lacking a specialist alternative to Benjamin Sesko.
Rashford began his United career as a striker amid an injury crisis in that position but he has produced his best football from the left wing.
Rashford came on for United against Milan Credit: Shutterstock Editorial
Rashford is set to be on the bench at Hull Credit: Getty
Carrick added: “Of course, he can play through the middle. He has done.
“Wouldn’t say it’s necessarily he’s number one position, but he can do that and I think we’ve got forwards that give us that flexibility right across the frontline that we’ve used all of them pretty much in slightly different roles.
“So I think for us to have that option is really good moving through the season. obviously.”