Connect with us


World Cup fans rage as ref Janny Sikazwe denies Canada ‘TWO clear penalties’ months after ending game on 85 minutes

WORLD CUP fans were left baffled by referee Janny Sikazwe after he turned down two Canada appeals for a penalty against Belgium.

The Zambian official did award Canada a spot-kick in the ninth minute after Yannick Carrasco handled in the area.

Fans felt Janny Sikazwe should have awarded Canada three penalties in total
Axel Witsel appeared to trip Richie Laryea inside the area
Tajon Buchanan was tripped by Jan Vertonghen but was wrongly ruled offside
Alphonso Davies missed the penalty Canada were awarded

Bayern Munich star Alphonso Davies could not convert from 12 yards with Thibaut Courtois getting down low to save.

But Canada continued to pressure the Red Devils and thought they should have had a second penalty when Jan Vertonghen brought down Tajon Buchanan.

There appeared to be clear contact but Sikazwe did not even have a decision to make because the assistant referee flagged for offside – despite Eden Hazard making the pass.

Speaking of the failure to award a penalty, former Premier League ref Mark Clattenburg said: “Human error by the VAR and Canada should have had a second penalty.”

That glaring error incensed fans, many of whom also felt Canada should have been given a penalty after Belgium’s Axel Witsel clashed with Richie Laryea.

Witsel appeared to push his opponent but neither the referee nor VAR felt there was sufficient contact to warrant a penalty.

One fan wrote on Twitter: “I’m sorry to bash a referee but missing three nail on penalties in play isn’t good enough in a world cup.

“One was corrected by VAR, but Canada should’ve had three penalties in this game and they’ve just been given one. Unacceptable at this level.”


Another added: “Should have been a penalty as well because then Vertonghen fouls him. Canada getting robbed here.”

Sikazwe made headlines during the African Cup of Nations earlier this year and so far he is yet to redeem his reputation in Qatar.

During a match between Tunisia and Mali Sikazwe blew for the final whislte before the 90th-minute mark.

Sikazwe says he could have died from heatstroke, and that was why he decided to blow up 13 seconds before the 90.

He had already signalled the end of the game on 85 minutes – before re-starting.

It led to chaos on the pitch, as Tunisia players and officials stormed onto the pitch to confront the official.

They were 1-0 down but playing against ten men.

Sikazwe later explained why he did what he did, saying that he could have ‘come back in a casket’.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply


Must See


More in Football