two further Covid-19 deaths and 54 new cases confirmed in State

two further Covid-19 deaths and 54 new cases confirmed in State

There has been a further 54 cases of coronavirus confirmed in the State and two further deaths, the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) has said.

Of the additional cases, eight have been confirmed as a result of community transmission, while 27 are linked to outbreaks or were close contacts of confirmed cases.

Twenty-four of the cases were men, and 29 were women. Some 67 per cent were among people under 45 years of age.

This brings the total number of Covid-19 related fatalities to 1,775, and 27,547 confirmed cases to date. Two previous deaths linked to coronavirus have been denotified from the overall figures, as well as six cases.

The increase in 54 cases follows 190 additional cases reported on Tuesday.

Dublin accounted for the highest number of new cases on Wednesday, with 19 of the 54. This was followed by Kildare with eight cases, five in Tipperary, and the remaining new cases spread across 13 counties.

In a statement on Wednesday, acting chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn said people had to reduce the number of others they met over the next three weeks to suppress the virus.

“You can still play sport, go to a restaurant and meet friends, but we are asking you to do this in as safe a way as possible,” he said.

“A collective effort by households and by employers and organisations can make a huge impact on community transmission, and help to protect our families and communities from Covid-19,” he said.

Assistant Secretary to the Department of An Taoiseach Liz Canavan during a media briefing earlier this month. Photograph: Gareth Chaney/Collins
Assistant Secretary to the Department of An Taoiseach Liz Canavan during a media briefing earlier this month. Photograph: Gareth Chaney/Collins

Schools

Earlier on Wednesday, a top Government official said that the decision to tighten restrictions and limit social interactions was taken to protect the reopening of schools.

Assistant secretary general at the Department of Taoiseach Liz Canavan said confirmed cases of Covid-19 have increased from a low of 61 cases a week to 533 cases last week.

The Government on Tuesday night announced new restrictions to combat the spread of coronavirus after public health experts warned the Government of multiple and significant outbreaks associated with households, workplaces and social activities.

People have been asked to work from home and avoid public transport until September 13th, while the number of people permitted to attend both indoor and outdoor events have been slashed. Under the tightened restrictions, all visits to homes will be limited to six people indoors and outdoors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Shakira hits 30 million mark on YouTube-ANI

Shakira hits 30 million mark on YouTube-ANI

USMNT World Cup qualifying

Bayern Munich – Lyon: How to watch, start time, team news, odds