A76X5W Coming up to the finishing post at Brighton races for a neck and neck result Credit: AlamyA TOP British racecourse that had all its fixtures cancelled due to a bug infestation has been given the green light to stage meetings again.
Racing at Brighton was ahead of its first fixture of the season after 123 horses had been entered to run on the seven-race card.
The track had been damaged due to a leatherjacket – also known as fly larvae – and nematode – also known as roundworm – infestation, prompting urgent restorative work.
while groundstaff worked to restore the track.
An official statement today confirmed the surface is now fit to race again having hosted a gallops morning on Wednesday.
The first meeting of the season will be held on Friday, May 29, with the turf in ‘prime condition’.
Executive Director of Brighton Racecourse, Paul Ellison, said: “We are delighted that the work undertaken by our Grounds Team at Brighton has been successful.
“We would, of course, like to thank them for all of their hard work as well as all of the owners, trainers, jockeys, annual members and customers who have been inconvenienced by the delay to the start of the season.
“Likewise, the local community to the Racecourse for their cooperation and support throughout this period.
“We very much look forward to getting our season underway on Friday 29 May and welcoming everyone back onto the Racecourse.”
Tom Queally, famed for riding Frankel to all 14 of his victories, took part in the gallops morning.
He said: “The horses we rode were a mixture, some experienced and some inexperienced.
“They all gathered a good deal of traction, with plenty of grip.
“I have full confidence in riding any type of horse over any distance at Brighton.”



