Innovative yet easy-to-use browser addition by Mozilla Labs makes changing the look of Firefox a snap
Builds global community of independent designers, and gathers designs from Interscope Geffen A&M including the All American Rejects, Lady Gaga and No Doubt, BCBGMAXAZRIA, the Common Ground Foundation, Cynthia Rowley, Greenpeace, and LIVESTRONG
Mountain View, Calif. – March 31, 2009 – Mozilla, a public-benefit organization dedicated to promoting choice and innovation on the Internet, today announced the immediate availability of new designs for the Mozilla Firefox web browser by leading fashion, cause, sports and music brands. Personas are free, easy-to-install “skins” for Firefox that make changing the look of the browser as easy as changing a shirt.
Mozilla is expanding the Personas gallery with new cause, sports, fashion and music categories, seeded with new designs from leading brands and gifted designers.
“We wanted to give people an opportunity to reflect their interests, passions, and personality when dressing their browser,” said Chris Beard, chief innovation officer for Mozilla. “Personas also turn Firefox into a canvas for both independent and established designers to showcase their art for a worldwide audience.”
First introduced in late 2007, the Mozilla Labs Personas project has attracted hundreds of designs from a growing community of artists and designers. Anyone can create and submit a design online in a few simple steps, and designs can then be shared with friends and the broader community. The goal of the project from its inception has been to enable people to easily make their browsing experience more fun and personal.
Today, Mozilla is releasing personas from the following brands, organizations and artists at GetPersonas.com:
- Interscope Geffen A&M artists:
- All American Rejects
- Lady Gaga
- No Doubt
- BCBGMAXAZRIA, a fashion powerhouse that has evolved into one of the hottest names in the fashion industry today.
- The Common Ground Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the empowerment and development of urban youth, created by Grammy award winning hiphop artist, actor and children’s author Lonnie Rashid Lynn, known as “Common”.
- Cynthia Rowley, the namesake company of the award-winning designer, whose collection of clothing, accessories, books and more is sold in her own stores and others all over the world.
- Greenpeace, the leading independent campaigning organization that “bears witness” to environmental destruction in a peaceful manner.
- LIVESTRONG, an organization that is empowering cancer survivors and advocates in the global fight against cancer and raising awareness about the LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Campaign.
Aaron Foreman, head of digital solutions for Interscope Geffen A&M says, “It’s great for fans to be able to keep their favorite bands in their Firefox browser, no matter what web site they visit. No Doubt, Lady Gaga and All American Rejects fans are very dedicated and loyal. They’ll love it.”
“Giving people the ability to show their passion for Greenpeace through Firefox is an innovative approach to blending technology and people’s desire to protect the planet,” says Daniel Kessler, press officer at Greenpeace. “We’re proud to partner with Mozilla in this effort.”
All of these Personas and many more are immediately available for free download at: www.getpersonas.com
Mozilla is a global community dedicated to building free, open source products and technologies that improve the online experience for people everywhere. We work in the open with a highly disciplined, transparent and cooperative development process, under the umbrella of the non-profit Mozilla Foundation. As a wholly owned subsidiary, the Mozilla Corporation organizes the development and marketing of Mozilla products. This unique structure has enabled Mozilla to financially support and cultivate competitive, viable community innovation. For more information, visit www.mozilla.com.
press at mozilla dot com