The Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, has criticised governors in the South-West for allegedly ignoring repeated warnings and appeals for collaboration on rising insecurity across the region, following the recent mass abduction of teachers and pupils in Oyo State.
Adams made the remarks on Tuesday during an appearance on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily while reacting to the attack in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where suspected terrorists abducted dozens of students and teachers before reportedly killing one of the victims.
“What happened in Oriire Local Government Area in Oyo State a few days ago is very sad and highly condemnable,” Adams said.
“We have had a series of kidnappings in different states, but we have not witnessed mass kidnapping in Yorubaland, and that shows that the Yoruba race in the South-West must prepare for this issue of insecurity.”
The Yoruba leader disclosed that over the past two years he had written several letters to governors in the South-West, urging them to strengthen collaboration on regional security challenges, but claimed he received no response.
“I had written to the South-West governors that there is a need for collaboration on the issue of security; all hands must be on deck on these issues. But for the past two years, they have not replied to me,” Adams stated.
According to him, he had earlier identified Ondo, Ekiti, Osun and Oyo states as vulnerable to infiltration by criminal groups.
“Precisely, November last year, I mentioned four states that these criminals had infiltrated. I mentioned Ondo State, Ekiti State, Osun State and Oyo State,” he said.
Adams added that he had also expressed concerns over emerging security threats in Ogun State, stressing that despite his traditional title, he lacked constitutional powers to directly coordinate security operations in the region.
“As the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, I have limited power to be involved in the security architecture of the country, especially Yorubaland,” he explained.
He further revealed that he had raised the issue on different media platforms and organised a world press conference about five months ago to advocate stronger cooperation between governments, traditional institutions and regional organisations.
According to him, the proposed partnership was expected to involve the Aare-in-Council and about 14 organisations, including the Oodua People’s Congress.
“We held a world press conference on this issue about five months ago that there is a need for the Aare Ona Kakanfo, through the Aare-in-Council and 14 different organisations, not only the Oodua People’s Congress, to collaborate with the government,” Adams said.
The Yoruba leader expressed disappointment that despite his repeated warnings, some members of the public continued to blame him over the worsening insecurity situation in the South-West.
“I don’t know why they refused, and then people continue to put blame on me. Some thought, ‘Where is the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland? He refused to do something on the issue of insecurity,’” he lamented.
His comments followed last Friday’s attack on Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where gunmen reportedly invaded Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School, abducting teachers, pupils and students.
Governor Seyi Makinde later confirmed that one of the abducted teachers had been killed, while efforts by security agencies to rescue the remaining victims were ongoing.
President Bola Tinubu also condemned the killing and assured Nigerians that security operatives were working to rescue those still in captivity and bring the perpetrators to justice.


