The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Olohundare Jimoh, has announced a significant drop in major criminal activities across the state within his first year in office, attributing the improvement to intelligence-driven policing, stronger community collaboration and enhanced operational capacity.
Jimoh made the disclosure on Tuesday while briefing journalists at the Lagos State Police Command headquarters in Ikeja, where he presented a performance review covering the period from February 18, 2025, to February 17, 2026.
According to him, internal security during the period remained largely stable, with no major breakdown of public order. He noted that public demonstrations were effectively managed, ensuring safety for both protesters and celebrants without any escalation into violence.
“We provided protection for those celebrating and those exercising their right to protest. No protest was allowed to degenerate into violence, and potential threats to critical infrastructure, including the Third Mainland Bridge, were promptly contained with minimal use of force,” he said.
The police commissioner also reported a notable decline in cult-related violence, stating that previously volatile areas such as Oshodi, Ketu, Mushin and parts of Lagos Island have recorded improved calm following sustained operations.
He disclosed that several high-profile suspects linked to violent crimes were arrested, including a notorious gang leader who had remained on the police watchlist for nearly 20 years.
On vehicle-related crimes, Jimoh said more than 150 stolen vehicles were recovered during the year, adding that specialised anti-car theft units have now been established across all area commands to curb the menace.
To also strengthen security coverage, he explained that tactical units within the command were expanded from 23 to 35, ensuring presence across all local government areas.
Enhanced intelligence gathering and surveillance, he added, played a key role in preventing opportunistic crimes.
Jimoh revealed that the newly created Eko Strike Force was introduced to work alongside the Rapid Response Squad, RRS, with support from the Lagos State Government through the Lagos State Security Trust Fund.
He stressed that technology-driven policing and sustained engagement with local communities were central to improving response times and boosting public trust in law enforcement.
The commissioner noted that the command successfully provided security for several high-profile national and international events attended by governors, ministers and foreign dignitaries during the period under review.
“Our commitment remains unwavering. Lagos must continue to be not just Nigeria’s economic nerve centre, but also a benchmark for security and public safety,” he said, describing the state as one of the safest in the country despite its dense population and commercial activity.
Jimoh expressed appreciation to the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, for his continued support, and also acknowledged the backing of Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu for strengthening the command’s operational capacity.
He said the donation of four additional patrol vehicles through the Security Trust Fund, under the leadership of Ayo Ogunsan, further boosted police visibility and response.
The commissioner also described Lagos’ security control centres as world-class facilities critical to monitoring activities across the state’s estimated 24 million residents.
He added that the Federal Government, through the Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, has supported the centres by providing monthly operational allowances to personnel attached to the Marine Police, Federal Highway Patrol and control room units to sustain round-the-clock security operations.



