Manchester United boss, Erik ten Hag decided against selling right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka after an intervention from the club’s board.
The board persuaded the former Ajax boss that the defender still had a future at the Theatre of Dreams.
Portuguese full-back Diogo Dalot has been the first choice in that role under Ten Hag so far this season.
Wan-Bissaka joined Manchester United from Crystal Palace for a fee of around £50m in 2019.
But, while the defender’s one-on-one defensive ability is often heralded, his lack of attacking expertise has been found wanting.
Palace wanted to take him back this summer and it was looking all set for him to leave Old Trafford but the Eagles were only willing to pay around £10m, which would have represented a £40m loss for United.
Ten Hag was willing to let him go as he sought to sign Sergino Dest from Barcelona.
And Athletic says Ten Hag was persuaded to do so after an intervention from his United board.
It said Ten Hag was informed of Wan-Bissaka’s capabilities and the feeling that he could improve in the attacking third under the Dutchman’s coaching.
Former Italian goalkeeper, Simone Braglia believes Victor Osimhen is still the number one striker...
Former Manchester United star, Federico Macheda has hailed Cristiano Ronaldo, saying the football icon...
Leicester City manager, Brendan Rodgers is confident Wilfred Ndidi will be available for Monday...