Famous for being “that” girl in Robin Thicke’s overtly sexual “Blurred Lines” music video, 24-year-old model Emily Ratajkowski has now turned her hand to acting and talks about her role in David Fincher’s “Gone Girl.” (Feb. 4)
Emily Ratajkowski wrote an essay Tuesday for New York Magazine’s The Cut about abuse of power, and in it she details a 2012 nude photoshoot at photographer Jonathan Leder’s home that she says turned physical.
Ratajkowski says she remembers Leder’s fingers being inside of her, explaining that the action hurt and that she pulled his fingers out with force. She said she didn’t say anything afterward, but that Leder stood up abruptly and left to go upstairs.
In a statement to USA TODAY Wednesday, Heather Tynan, editorial director of Leder’s Imperial Publishing company, said he “completely denies her outrageous libelous allegations of being ’assaulted.’ ”
“We were all deeply disturbed to read Ms. Ratajkowski’s latest false statements to NY Magazine,” the statement reads. “It is disheartening to us that NY Magazine would publish such a tawdry and baseless article, yet not surprising.”
In a follow-up statement, Tynan added, “We are taking legal action against Vox Media, NY Magazine’s parent company.”
Ratajkowski says she “felt wide awake, albeit very, very drunk” earlier that night after having a couple glasses of wine. There was also no one else in the room, she writes, explaining a makeup artist left the room to go to bed.
“I stiffened as (the makeup artist’s) presence dissolved from the living room. I was upset with her for leaving me, but I didn’t want to admit to myself that her presence had made a difference,” Ratajkowski wrote. “I can handle him alone, I thought.”
She added that as years passed, she tucked “Jonathan somewhere deep in my memory. I never told anyone about what happened, and I tried not to think about it.”
The shoot resurfaced, however, when some of the images appeared on Leder’s Instagram and in a new book from Leder’s publishing company titled “Emily Ratajkowski,” she wrote.
“When I agreed to shoot with Jonathan, I had consented only for the photos to be printed in the magazine they were intended for,” she said.
The statement to USA TODAY from Leder’s team maintained: “We have every legal right to publish our books of Ms. Ratajkowski – despite what she has tried to maintain to the press. Ms. Ratajkowski knows that, and her lawyers know that. She knows she has no legal recourse to stop publication, so bad mouthing the photographer (again) with false and salacious, baseless accusations seems to be her newfound answer.”
Before the accusations against Leder, Ratajkowski wrote about other issues surrounding the ownership of her image, including when artist Richard Prince was selling an oversized print of her Instagram photo for tens of thousands of dollars.
“I make my living off posing for photographs, and it felt strange that a big-time, fancy artist worth a lot more money than I am should be able to snatch one of my Instagram posts and sell it as his own,” she explained.
Eventually, she wrote she came to a conclusion about control in her own life that she applied to her thoughts on Leder.
“I’m not convinced that spending any more of my resources on Jonathan would be money well spent,” she writes. “Eventually, Jonathan will run out of ‘unseen’ crusty Polaroids, but I will remain as the real Emily; the Emily who owns the high-art Emily, and the one who wrote this essay, too. She will continue to carve out control where she can find it.”
More: Kevin Spacey accused in new lawsuit of assaulting two men when they were in their teens
More: Amy Schumer, Emily Ratajkowski arrested while protesting Kavanaugh
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/09/16/emily-ratajkowski-calls-out-photographer-jonathan-leder-abuse-essay/5814315002/