Creamy chicken salad spiked with spicy buffalo sauce makes for the perfect lunch or party dish! This buffalo chicken salad is super easy to make and is completely addictive. Made with deliciously tender, shredded chicken, it’s perfect as a sandwich or with chips or crackers as a dip.
Chicken salad just got taken to the next level. This tangy, spicy salad with tender shredded chicken and chopped veggies is absolutely delicious as a dip, wrapped in lettuce, or between bread. It’s absolutely perfect for keto, low carb, or when you just want something different than buffalo wings. Bring this to your next party or tailgating, and see how quickly it gets devoured!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Chicken – Packed with protein and with a tender texture, chicken is the perfect base for the other flavors of this recipe.
Celery – Celery helps give this salad a nice crunch, along with a mild, sweet flavor.
Sweet onion – These onions lack the strong astringency of other onions, and are nice and mild, with a hint of sweetness (hence the name), making them a good complement to the strong flavor of the buffalo sauce.
Mayonnaise – Mayo helps make this chicken salad super creamy and rich.
Buffalo sauce – Tangy, spicy, and sometimes a little sweet, buffalo sauce takes this chicken salad from plain to a totally different level.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Salad
The full recipe is below, but here you’ll find all the steps for making this recipe perfectly the first and 100th time, along with useful tips and info!
Cook and shred the chicken. (Check out the top tips.)
Add all the ingredients but the chicken broth in a large bowl and stir them together.
Add the chicken broth one tablespoon at a time to the mixture until it becomes your desired texture and as creamy as you like. (I usually use about 4-6 tablespoons.)
Add more mayo to taste if you like!
Top Tips For Making
- You can use precooked chicken, or you can cook your own. Just place the chicken breasts in a wide skillet and cover with some chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover your skillet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 160º F. Reserve the broth and use it in your salad!
- There are a couple different ways to shred chicken that I use. One way is to use two forks. Stab one fork into a piece of cooked chicken and drag the other across the chicken to shred it. Another super easy way is to put the chicken in a bowl and shred it using a hand mixer on low speed.
Buffalo Chicken Salad
This tangy, spicy chicken salad is super easy, but packed full of buffalo flavor.
Cook and shred the chicken. (See notes.) Add shredded chicken, celery, sweet onion, mayonnaise, buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and stir.
Add broth one tablespoon at a time until the mixture becomes creamy and desired texture. Add more mayonnaise to taste if desired.
- Chicken: Use precooked chicken or cook your own. Place the chicken breasts in a wide skillet and cover with some chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover your skillet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 160º F. Reserve the broth for the salad.
- How to shred chicken: Use two forks. Stab one fork into a piece of cooked chicken and drag the other across the chicken to shred it. Alternately, put the chicken in a bowl and shred it using a hand mixer on low speed.
I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
With this buffalo chicken salad, I like a fun, light wine like:
– White wine spritzer (in cans!), like Epic Pursuit White Wine Spritzer
– Sparkling rosé, like 2019 Gallivant Bubbly Rosé from North Coast, California
– Sauvignon blanc, like 2019 Dove Hunt Dog Sauvignon Blanc from Potter Valley, California
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories 260 Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g25%
Vitamin A 81IU2%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet