Cooking a steak in the air fryer causes something magical to happen: super juicy, perfectly medium-rare steak, in just 12 minutes! Air fryer steak might just be my new favorite way of cooking or eating red meat. It’s totally hands-off and foolproof, with a surprisingly beautiful crust. Served with an easy herb butter that’ll knock the socks off your lucky guests.
It may be hard to believe, but the air fryer makes one of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten. So juicy, tender, and cooked to medium-rare perfection, I honestly was blown away by how good these steaks turned out. And the herb butter? Absolutely takes this recipe to the next level. This recipe is perfect for people on keto since it’s low carb (1g net carb per steak!) and high fat. This easy steak is simple enough to whip up for dinner when you just need to treat yourself, but will also blow away any guests you have over.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Steak – I used sirloin for this recipe, but you can use whatever cut is your favorite. Tender and flavorful on its own, it really own needs simple seasoning, but the herb butter completely elevates this recipe.
Butter – Rich, creamy butter melting over hot, gorgeous beef sounds just as ridiculously delicious as it is.
Garlic – A little garlic for your herb butter gives it an extra kick of flavor.
Parsley – With a slightly peppery taste, parsley brightens the butter and balances out the other savory flavors.
How To Make Steak in the Air Fryer with Easy Herb Butter
The full recipe is below, but here you’ll find all the steps for making this recipe perfectly the first and 100th time, along with useful tips and info!
Mix together everything for the butter and shape it into a log. Pop it in the fridge to chill. (See tops tips for more info.)
Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400º F.
Liberally salt both sides of the steak.
Add the steaks and cook for 7-9 minutes for the perfect medium-rare.
Immediately remove from the air fryer and let rest for 5 minutes.
Top Tips For Making
- To make the garlic herb butter, mix together all the ingredients in a blender, food processor, or by hand. (If you’re using the former two, no need to mince your garlic ahead of time.) Make sure it’s smooth, and then spoon into a long rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Twist each end and chill until it’s firm.
- I definitely recommend preheating your air fryer! The steak will start cooking as soon as it hits the heat, which also helps the steak get a nice, golden crust.
- I highly recommend using a meat thermometer for this recipe to make sure your steak cooks perfectly. My steaks only took 7 minutes to cook! Obviously, thicker or larger steaks will take longer, which is where an internal thermometer with probe comes in handy. You’ll know exactly when it’s ready – which is 131º for medium rare. It will increase in temperature (to 135º while it rests).
Want an air fryer but not sure which one to get? I use the Chefman 6.3 Quart Air Fryer, but here are some other great options for air fryers in a variety of sizes.
Air Fryer Steak with Easy Herb Butter
These steaks are perfectly juicy and seasoned with a rich herb butter and easily made in the air fryer.
- 2 medium steaks about 8 ounces each
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- pepper lots, to taste
- Garlic herb butter: Mix together all the ingredients in a blender, food processor, or by hand. (If you’re using the former two, no need to mince your garlic ahead of time.) Make sure it’s smooth, and then spoon into a long rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Twist each end and chill until it’s firm.
- Preheating: Highly recommended. Steak will cook as soon as it hits heat. This also helps create golden crust.
- Additional cooking notes: I highly recommend using a meat thermometer for this recipe to make sure your steak cooks perfectly. The internal temperature of your steaks should be 131º for medium rare. They will increase in temperature (to 135º while resting).
I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
There are so many great wines that go with steak, especially great reds like:
– Pinot noir, like 2018 Adelante Pinot Noir, Casablanca Valley, from Chile
– Zinfandel, like 2017 Hushkeeper Zinfandel from Mendocino County, California
– Cabernet, like 2018 Middle Jane Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from Alexander Valley, California
Air Fryer Steak with Easy Herb Butter
Amount Per Serving
Calories 678 Calories from Fat 495
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 29g181%
Vitamin A 912IU18%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.