THE Bondi Beach terror suspect kept quiet as he appeared in court for the first time since the horror attack,
Naveed Akram, 24, faces 59 charges, including 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder and a terror offence.
Accused Bondi shooter Naveed Akram, 24, appeared via video linkCredit: AP
His lawyer, Ben Archbold, spoke to reporters outside the Sydney courthouseCredit: Reuters
Akram is accused of opening fire on a Jewish Hannukah festival at the iconic beach on December 14, killing 15 people.
Cops claim he perpetrated the mass shooting with his father, Sajid, 50, who was shot dead at the scene.
During a brief status hearing in Sydney on Monday, Akram appeared via video link from the high-security Goulburn Correctional Centre, 120 miles away.
Wearing prison greens, Akram sat mostly silent and spoke only to confirm he heard discussion about extending non-publication orders protecting victims’ details.
Outside court, his lawyer, Ben Archbold, said his client was doing “as well as he can be” under the “very onerous conditions” in prison.
Archbold said it was too early to indicate a plea and that he had not discussed the alleged attack with Akram.
He told reporters: “I haven’t spoken to him about the attack in that regard.
“All that we’re doing at the moment is starting the process we’re waiting for the brief to be served, there’s nothing more I can say.”
Archbold added that he had visited Akram behind bars.
“He’s just a client, and he’s a client that needs to be represented.
“And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional obligations.
“The matter has been adjourned, I have nothing more to say.”
Akram previously appeared in court remotely from a hospital bed in December.
The Bondi shooting is considered the worst terror attack in Australian history.
Mourners gather at a tribute at the Bondi Pavilion in memory of the victimsCredit: AFP
The attack was one of the deadliest in Australian historyCredit: AP
It is also the deadliest mass shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.
Following the Bondi incident, Australian parliament unanimously agreed to restrict gun laws and introduce a gun buyback program.
It also led to federal hate speech laws, and victims were remembered by a national day of mourning.
The case returns to court in April.



